My Schmidt, Winkelmann, and Bork families lived in and around the town of Friedeberg in Kreis Friedeberg, Brandenburg, Neumark, Prussia. I decided to post some information about these towns and how they are relevant. A lot of the information about Prussian city administration comes from a fantastic site called https://www.meyersgaz.org, and I urge you to check them out if you are doing Prussian genealogical research.
Weißefenn was a “Häusergruppe”, literally just a “group of houses”, and you can see it on the map as just that: three to five houses in the middle of the woods just north of Modderpfuhl. The entry for Weißefenn indicates that it’s in Kreis Friedeberg, and is “dependent” on Bergdorf. There is a note on it’s entry to see the entry for Bergdorf for further information. At least two records mention it:
- 15 Jun 1859 – Birth of Alvine Auguste Schmidt to August Schmidt and Wilhelmine Mathes, per her death record.
- 8 Aug 1862 – Birth of Carl Ernst Wilhelm Schmidt to Carl Friedrich Schmidt and Wilhelmine Winkelmann, per his Prussian Military Passport.
The name Modderpfuhl means “mud puddle”, and it doesn’t seem to have been a very large place itself. The detail map shows about three dozen or so buildings. Modderpfuhl is listed as a “Kolonie” and several of my family members who are from there are listed as “Kolonist” as an occupation. The town is in Kreis Friedeberg, and is “dependant” on Brenkenhofswalde, whose entry should be consulted for further information.
- 23 Nov 1832 – Birth of Wilhelm Ludwig Schmidt to Johann Ludwig Schmidt and Christiane Krüger, per WL Schmidt’s marriage record.
- 1835 – Birth of Carl Friedrich Schmidt to Johann Ludwig Schmidt and Christiane Krüger, per CF Schmidt’s marriage record.
- 1844 – Birth of Johann Ferdinand “Ferdinand” Schmidt to Johann Ludwig Schmidt and Christiane Krüger, per Ferdinand Schmidt’s marriage record.
- abt 1855 – Marriage of August Schmidt to first wife Wilhelmine Mathes.
- Sept 1859 – Carl Friedrich Schmidt is living here per his marriage record.
Bergdorf, a dorf or village, consisted of a dozen or so buildings, and was listed in many Winkelmann family records:
- 1808 – Birth of Christian Julius Winkelmann, per his death record.
- 20 Dec 1836 – Birth of Wilhelmine Winkelmann to Christian Julius Winkelmann and Johanna Charlotte Börk.
- 1839 – Birth of Hannah Auguste Friedricke Winkelmann to Christian Julius Winkelmann and Johanna Charlotte Börk.
- 1841 – Birth of Carl Julius Winkelmann to Christian Julius Winkelmann and Johanna Charlotte Börk.
- 25 Sept 1847 – Birth of Franz Hermann Wilhelm Winkelmann to Christian Winkelmann and his wife Johanna Charlotte née Börk.
- Dec 1850 – Birth of Antonie Francesca Ottilie Winkelmann to Christian Winkelmann and his wife Johanna Charlotte née Börk.
- 6 Apr 1855 – Birth of Marie Pauline Winkelmann to Christian Winkelmann and his wife Johanna Charlotte née Börk from Carolina, per her marriage record.
Brenkenhofswalde is listed as the town where more information can be found about Modderpfuhl. As far as I know, none of my family lived there.
Pehlitz was a Dorf und Rittergut (Village and Landed Estate) in Kreis Friedeberg and consisted of a few dozen buildings around a small lake. You can see that there was a church in Pehlitz, so perhaps at some point parish records from that church will become available.
Pehlitz was listed as the birthplace of my 4x great-grandmother Johanna Charlotte “Charlotte” Bork (1814-1885), and the place of residence of her husband Christian Julius Winkelmann (1808-1886) at the time of their marriage:
- 29 Mar 1814 – Birth of Johanna Charlotte Börk, per her death record.
- 23 Jan 1835 – Residence of Christian Julius Winkelmann per the record of his marriage to Johanna Bork in Friedeberg.
Friedeberg was a Kreisstadt (County Seat), and the largest of the towns my family lived in. You can see that it was a lovely (perhaps formerly) walled city with a church and monuments in the center, located on the banks of a lake. It is called Strzelce Krajenskie, Poland today.
The church where, among other things, my 4x great grandparents were married still stands.
Nr. 5. Freideberg. Marriage of the eigenthümer Christian Winkelmann from Pehlitz with Miss Hanna Charlotte Bork on 23 Jan 1835.
There are numerous records for the Winkelmann, Schmidt, and Bork families in Friedeberg. Surrounding cities like Pehlitz and Bergdorf are sometimes mentioned.