My 3x great-grandmother Martha Jane Hammond was born just outside the city of Donegal in County Donegal, Ireland. This updated document will outline new information about her family that has been obtained from Irish civil and church records, and other sources.
Alexander Hammond and Margaret Lenox
Alexander Hammond and his wife Margaret Lenox, my 6x great-grandparents were likely born near Donegal in the late 1760’s. They were married in Drumhome, Donegal, Ireland on 20 Jul 1792. Alexander’s father was listed as Andrew Hammond, and Margaret’s father was listed as Daniel Lenox. Andrew was from Ballydermot and his wife from Tullyleague, according to their marriage record.
Alexander and Margaret had the following children, all born in Drumhome, Donegal Ireland:
- Andrew Hammond (bap 1 May 1792 in Ballydermot).
- Alexander Hammond (bap 20 Aug 1794 in Lismintin).
- Andrew Hammond II (bap 9 Mar 1796 in Lismintan), married Elizabeth Graham, died 24 Feb 1871 in Agadowey, Drumholm, Donegal, Ireland at the age of 74.
- Richard Hammond (bap 5 Oct 1798 in Ballydermot).
- Robert Hammond (bap 5 Oct 1798 in Ballydermot).
- Timothy Hammond (bap 12 Dec 1802 in Ballydermot).
Francis Graham and Jane Pearson
Francis Graham and his wife Jane Pearson (also my 6x great grandparents) were married about 1790 in Drumhome, Donegal, Ireland. Francis had been married before to Jane Griffith, with whom he had a daughter Mary Graham, born in 1783.
Francis Graham and Jane Pearson had the following children, all born in Dromore, Drumhome, Donegal Ireland:
- Elizabeth Graham I (bap 17 Jul 1791).
- Hannah Graham (bap 19 Oct 1792).
- Elizabeth Graham II (bap 12 Dec 1793).
Andrew Hammond and Elizabeth Graham
Andrew Hammond II and Elizabeth Graham were my 5x great-grandparents. Andrew Hammond II was born in Mar, 1796 in Ballydermot, Drumhome, Donegal, Ireland and baptized there on 1 May 1792. He married Elizabeth Graham, daughter of Francis Graham and his wife Jane Pearson on 20 Sept 1814 in Donegal Parish of Donegal County. Elizabeth was listed as being from Drumholm and Andrew from Donegal.
Andrew and Elizabeth had six known children who were born in the parish of Finnabanes in County Donegal except Andrew who seems to have been born while visiting Elizabeth’s family in Drumholm:
- John Hammond (born 15 Jun 1816), married Jane Bustard and Margaret Miller, died 15 Mar 1895 in Glencoagh, Mountcharles, Donegal, Ireland at the age of 78.
- Edward Hammond (b 26 Oct 1818).
- Jane Hammond (b 18 Mar 1822, married George Hanna, died 4 Dec 1891 in Ballintra, Donegal, Ireland).
- Mary Ann Hammond (b 23 Aug 1826).
- Andrew Hammond (b 24 Apr 1828 in parish Dromore, married Margaret Bustard, died 7 Jun 1903 in Finnabanes).
- William Hammond (b 7 Jul 1829, married Martha Jane Kealty, died abt 1880 in Brooklyn, Iowa).
John and Ann Bustard
John and Ann Bustard were my 5x great-grandparents. They were married about 1819 in County Donegal, Ireland (likely in Clarcam). They had the following children in Clarcam, Donegal, Ireland:
- William Bustard (b 6 Apr 1820).
- Jane Bustard (b 27 Jul 1823).
- Isabella Bustard (b 11 Nov 1825).
- John Bustard (bap 11 Nov 1832).
John Hammond and Jane Bustard
John Hammond and Jane Bustard were my 4x great-grandparents. John Hammond was born 15 Jun 1816 in Finnabanes, and was baptized 16 Jun 1816 in the same place. Jane Bustard was born 27 Jul 1823 in Clarcam, Donegal, Ireland and was baptized there on 29 Jul 1823. They were married on 29 Dec 1841 in Donegal. John’s brother William was listed as one of the witnesses. The children of John Hammond and Jane Bustard were all born in County Donegal, Ireland:
1) Anna “Ann” Hammond was born 1 Nov 1843 in Finnabanes. She married Richard King on 17 Aug 1871 in Grinnell, Iowa, and they had at least four children. Ann died 26 Oct 1925 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
2) Elizabeth “Betty” Hammond was born 5 Nov 1845 in Drummenny and died 5 Oct 1932, likely in Cheyenne, Wyoming where she had been working as a housekeeper. She is not believed to have married or had any children.
3) Martha Jane Hammond was born 22 Jun 1848 in Drummenny. She married John Mullins on 18 May 1871 in Marengo, Iowa. They had five children. Martha died 2 Dec 1930 in Grinnell, Iowa due to heart disease.
Martha Jane Hammond and unknown daughter, courtesy of Michael Curtis.
4) Mary Hammond was born 18 Mar 1851 in Finnabanes. She married Albert Hickman on 15 Apr 1879 in Iowa County, Iowa. They had two children. She died 8 Sept 1914 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
5) Andrew J Hammond was born 1 Dec 1853 in Finnabanes. He married Mary Magdelein Pilgrim on 16 Sept 1878 at Union, Iowa. They had three daughters. He died 30 Sept 1903 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Andrew Hammond and family.
6) Margaret Hammond I was born 24 Jun 1856 in Finnabanes. She likely died at or shortly after birth.
7) Margaret “Maggie” Hammond II was born 10 Oct 1858 in Finnabanes. She married James B. Johnson about 1879. They had a daughter Lorenia M “Lola” Johnson (1880-1954) . Maggie then married Adam Dunlap in 1897 in Grinnell, Iowa. They had a son, Leroy Daniel “Roy” Dunlap (1900-1963). Maggie died 10 Nov 1931 in Harvey, Illinois.
8) Catherine “Kate” Hammond was born about 1862, likely in Finnabanes. So far her birth record has not been located. She married Dock D Harr on 6 Jun 1882 in Hampton, Iowa, and they had at least one daughter, Cecile I Harr (1833-1958). Kate died 26 Jul 1934 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
On 26 Dec 1864, John married his second wife, Margaret Miller, daughter of Robert Miller, who was 27 years younger than him (he was 48, she was 21). They had thirteen more children in County Donegal:
- William John Hammond (b 30 Nov 1865 in Lacrum).
- Robert Hammond (b 15 Jan 1867 in Lacrum).
- Matthew Hammmond (b 4 May 1868 in Lacrum).
- George Hammond (b 28 Jul in Lacrum).
- Fannie Hammond (b 20 Nov 1870 in Lacrum).
- Elizabeth Isabella Hammond (b 21 Jun 1872 in Lacrum).
- Francis Hammond (b 14 Oct 1873 in Altilow).
- Edward John Hammond (b 25 Apr 1875 in Altilow).
- Martha Hammond (b 25 Nov 1877 in Altilow).
- Alexander Hammond (b 20 Jun 1879 in Altilow).
- Ella J Hammond (b 28 May 1881 in Altilow, baptized as Rebecca).
- Matthew John Hammond (b 28 Nov 1883 in Altilow, baptized as John).
- Rebecca Hammond (b 27 Feb 1887 in Altilow).
John died 15 Mar 1891 in Glencoagh Mountcharles, Donegal, Ireland. His occupation was listed as “weaver”. His second wife Margaret Miller died in West Fork, Iowa on 4 Mar 1909.
John Mullins and Martha Jane Hammond
John Mullins and Martha Jane Hammond were my 3x great-grandparents.
John was born in Ireland (perhaps in Dublin) on 25 Mar 1844 (per his gravestone), and came to America before the Civil War. He worked as a blacksmith in Buffalo, Erie, New York, and enlisted in the Union Army there in August 1863 as part of Company E of the 14th New York Heavy Artillery Regiment. He was described as having blue eyes, light hair, fair compexion and as being 5’6″ in height.
John Mullins (1844-1894)
John was mustered out of the Union Army on 26 Aug 1865 in Washington D.C. and went to work in Marengo, Iowa as a blacksmith. He is in the 1870 Census there working as one of four blacksmiths on the ranch of Thomas Crew, a stock (cattle) dealer.
He married Martha Jane Hammond on 18 May 1871 in Marengo, and they had the following children:
- William Richard Mullins (b 27 May 1872 in Marengo).
- Jessiman May “Jessie” Mullins (b 8 Feb 1874 in Marengo).
- Agnes Mullins (b 2 Jul 1876 in Marengo).
- Elizabeth Winifred “Bessie” Mullins (b 28 Apr 1878 in Marengo).
- Edith Edna Mullins (b 30 Jul 1881 in Grinnell).
John Mullins died of paralysis on 31 Jan 1894 in Grinnell, Iowa. His wife Martha Jane Hammond died of heart disease on 2 Dec 1930, also in Grinnell.